Monday, July 9, 2012

There is no such thing as bad weather -- Just weak people.


If there is one thing I know about my self it is that I am a horrible decision maker. But at the same time I know that if there is something that I want bad enough there is no decision to be had. It is already made.

I grew up knowing there was a path to follow. Unfortunately my generation has strayed from this path. But every level of evolution happens for a reason. But for me things are very structured. Everything has to happen in a specific order or I get uncomfortable. I have found this out over the past few years and different experiences, relationships, and friendships that have come and gone.

School has always been my game. I knew that all I have had to do in life is go to school. I went to elementary, then middle, then off to high school. All I had to do is finish and not get knocked up. I succeeded. Next is college, where I went to a local community college. Never really thought that one through. Now that I think back to it I believe I had an unwritten plan. Get my two year Associates of Arts degree, then transfer to a University. Life doesn't always happen the way you expect. I opted out of the University route knowing I would party too hard. Does that make me sad I didn't go to a party school... well naturally. But everything happens for a reason.

I found Ringling College of Art + Design on a fluke. This college has been in my back yard for what... 80 something years. I never even heard of it, but I came across it and didn't even think twice that it wasn't where I wanted to be. So I did everything I needed to do to enroll. I made phone calls, I bothered guidance counselors and admissions. Stayed another semester at SPC to complete some drafting, drawing and design classes. I submitted my portfolio, and wrote a check and boom March 5, 2009 I got a personal phone call on my birthday letting me know that I was accepted into Ringling. 

I cried tears of joy. My dream was finally going to come true. I moved to the Sarasota area shortly after I found out I was accepted and went to MCC for the summer semester to finish a course I needed to be transferred into to the Interior Design program. Since Ringling is a private institution I got transferred in as a Sophomore instead of a Junior if I was in a State school. Which was a bummer but I dealt with that seeing how I was going to the Harvard of art schools.

I didn't live in Sarasota for even a year when I moved back to St. Pete and commuted to school everyday for the next two years. This did not make things any easier on me or my work load, but I did what I had to do. Many, many sleep overs full of sleepless nights.

I completed 3 very challenging yet stimulating years at Ringling. Everything I have ever learned about school was thrown out the window. It was such a wonderful self learning experience. So many ups and downs. Relationships gained, and relationships lost. But they were all just strides to the finish line. 

May 5, 2012 was one of the happiest days of my life. I don't know how else to explain it. The graduation was beautiful. I don't think I have ever smiled so big in all of my days... I even did a little dance across the stage when my name was called. 

Ringling is such a pristine and intimate college setting each major was so personalized when the Head Directors called the names. Hugs, planks, dances, and tears walked across the stage one by one. It is amazing to think that out of 3 years I mainly only knew the personalities I spent in close proximities of the lab with out of all the students graduating. 


But I am okay with that. There is a reason why I have only bonded with those in my major. They are the ones that matter. I didn't come to school to increase my popularity. Clearly I am the shit, and don't need any more friends... Ouch that was vain. Hhaha... I am just kidding. But seriously though, I had my ID family, and my wolfpack.

 


Just like any Graduation, it was long and boring, but I earned that 3 hour long boring graduation. It was my day and everyone else whom shared the seats of the Van Wetzle. 


I got some beautiful flowers from my family. And some irreplaceable last moments with my class mates. Of coarse we all had to match... because we are pritzy like that! 


After the ceremony a huge group of us all went out for a gourmet dinner at Applebee's... Where I refused to take my cap and gown off... I worked my ass off for 3 years and about 75k dollars later, I was going to wear the shit out of that gown. And I did! I got every congrats out of every passer by I could. It was amazing!

Congrats to all my classmates, and fellow Ringling Alum. I wish you all the best in your pursuts into your field of choice. Now lets all get rich and famous!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment