Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tipsy Daisy, Topsy Turvy

If I should stay, I would only be in your way.So I'll go, but I know I'll think of you every step of the way.Bittersweet memoriesthat is all I'm taking with me.So, goodbye. Please, don't cry.We both know I'm not what you, you need.
I hope life treats you kindAnd I hope you have all you've dreamed of.And I wish to you, joy and happiness.But above all this, I wish you love.

This weekend we lost a great musical talent, Whitney Houston at the ripe age of 48. Even though she may have had her vices as we all do, and has not produced any music in quite some time does not stop her from being an amazing talent. We all have our problems and our faults. I think that yea a lot of celebrities die from things such as drugs and alcohol abuse. When they finally die from that, we just shake our head. But we can not forget about their prime. When they were on top of the world. How their music, or movies have shaped our lives. It is sad that we will think of Whitney as the singer that was addicted to crack, and was beaten by Bobby Brown. But we can not deny the powerful voice that she possessed. Rest In Peace Whitney, I'm glad I was lucky to grow up with such a talented voice in my ear. So many restless nights, and road trips I had your cassette tape in my walkman to warm my soul.

I had such a wonderful day Saturday. I walked to the Octagon house, to find out that it was opened Sunday, not Saturday. But i didn't let that rain on my parade. I came back to the house and did some laundry, getting ready for Ashley to come see me. Then I went to a little restaurant in Little Italy where I took my new book and had a bloody mary. After getting a little buzzed and getting some chapters down, I stopped into a bakery where I picked up a nice Cannoli, then to the cafe by my house for a Vanilla Latte. I was just a little spoiled brat, enjoying life's finer things. The sun was out and the sky was blue, and I wanted to indulge. I wish I didn't come home to find out that Whitney had passed. But the energy of the day was so grand I suppose something significant had to happen, and I will remember forever what I was 
doing the day Whitney Houston passed away.     




Saturday night, Ashley and I were on the phone for hours trying to figure out what we are going to do while she is here. We have had lots of ideas, it was just making them concrete that was difficult. Finally we decided the lay out of our trip. She will arrive here on Wednesday. We are Yosemite bound on Thursday, going to stay a few nights, then head back up towards Napa where we will do some wine tasting. Then head back down to San Fran to do Alcatraz and what nots. So stay tuned next week this blog is going to  blow up with tons of pictures. I know I am so so so excited. 


Today, I went back to the Octagon house where I finally got to go inside. I wish I had pictures to show, but I was unable to take photos inside the house. I am sure I could have sneaked a few, but I feel so dick doing that. None of the furniture was original to the home, and there had been  renovations done to the house after the committee took over the home. But all the American style furniture was just beautiful. There were some very traditional pieces, and some very ornate pieces. I could go on all day about the sideboard with the serpentine front, and the wood inlay, and the candle tables with the bird cage pedestal, but I know you are probably starring at the screen cross eyed now. So let me see if I can pull some images off the net for you to relate what craziness is coming from my fingertips....


Serpentine Front sideboard. Named for the curvature of the front. The light details on the wood are wood inlays. Very precise work for a craftsman. Could you imagine trying to make those drawers fit perfectly like that for the shape of this piece?


Birdcage Candle Table. Notice right under the top? The table top spins so when lighting candles you don't have to move around and burn your self.


Queen Anne Tall Boy. This chest stood well over my head. In fact I would need a stool of some sort to reach the top of it.


Classic Wing Chair

This was another popular style. With the rush seat. These style chairs became so popular it became hard to know who had a original  because they became so reproduced.

The style furniture in this home, was much different then the furniture we saw in the Haas-Lilienthal house. Where their furniture was much more grand, more for entertaining. Where this home was more just a functional type, almost working class family. It was interesting to learn about the home though and why they shaped the home as an octagon. Apparently an architect decided that the ideal home would be a round home. It was the best for function in getting air circulation and day light. However, a round home is not practical, so the next best thing would be the eight sided home. The stairs went directly up the core of the home to the cupola (the little window area at the very top of the home). Then all the rooms were around the stairwell.

The home has had some work done to it, and is not completely original. In the earthquake of 1906 the home lost a wall, the home also used to be on the opposite side of the street and they moved it over. The stairs are no longer directly in the core of the home, but on the second floor you can see where the stairs went up to the cupola that was like their look out over the world. The home now is home to tons of great items that the Committee of dames have collected over the years, including all the signatures of those wonderful men on the Declaration of Independence.... all except two. Booker and Lynch. One was lost at sea, and the other disappeared, his body never to be found. 

So what an exciting end to the weekend. I am just such a nerd, I had so much to talk to the Docent ladies about. they were just cute as a button, and to think my dad thought I was just going on a 4 month vacation... I guess that was the secret behind all those summer vacations growing up where we would go to historical homes, battle grounds, and memorials. I am still doing it as an adult, and enjoying it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment