Monday, January 2, 2012

Hungry like a Wolf



Good Morning San Francisco. Glad to see the sun is shining today. My first day in a new place. What should I do? Well of coarse first things are first, lets go look at the place where I maybe spending my next few months. I walked about 25-30 minutes to the house where I would possibly looking at a room. Its amazing. Everyone here walks around. In Florida this is like unheard of. If you told me 2 weeks ago, that you wanted me to walk 25-30 minutes to go grab something to eat, I would have probably looked at you like you were crazy and told you to get in my truck... I'm driving. What a beautiful day it was. I thought it was going to be a little colder here though. I'm not sure what I was expecting, and honestly, I'm not sure if I'm glad or disappointed its not as cold as I was thinking.... Guess we will find out over the next few months. 


So I meet my prospective roommates, Joy and Daniel. They are a little older then I. Joy is an RN but she is currently unemployed and Dan... well he told me what he did, but obviously it wasn't cool enough for me to remember. Whoops? So anyways, the house is super old, the bottom floor was built in 1916 and the top floor was built in 1920. It is a home in Dans family his grandparents built it. They have 3 kitties, one of them, Hera, kinda resembles oscar, just a girl and a lot chunkier. I miss my baba. I hope he is doing OK. It is crazy, that a lot of my emotion stems from having to leave him. 


After I met with Joy and Daniel, I decided to walk down to Fisherman's Wharf. Joy and Daniel live in North Beach which is about a 8-10 minute walk to the Wharf. I went to the Hyde Street Pier first, where I first saw the Golden Gate Bridge. Once I saw that it was like I knew I was in Cali. I looked at all the boats around, and then I saw Alcatraz sitting out in the middle of the water. It was amazing how beautiful it was sitting out there so secluded and untouched. I walked through an old school house boat as well, things used to be so beautifully crafted. I continued my way towards the Golden Gate. No matter how far I walked I felt as if she wasn't getting any closer. There were some steps right behind the Ghirardelli Square and really just soaked in the view. It was so beautiful, the boats rocking back and forth, the people swimming in the water, children playing in the sand, and the blue sky lined by the dark green mountains, sitting ever so patiently. I really enjoy sitting outside, and soaking in the life around me, I think I found my new spot to get away.... for now at least. 


I began to walk toward the bridge again, where there was Fort Mason. A decent grade of a hill, I walked up to find a beautiful park with the greenest grass I have ever seen. So many active people, biking and jogging up the hill. I give them props, it was hard work just to walk up it. You can tell who are the tourists and who lives here, just in the way they approach the hills here. I really need to start jogging again... you don't even need a gym here. Plus who wants to run on a treadmill when you can run against this scenery everyday. I saw some girls from the hostel jog past me. I give them props.. they ran all the way to the bridge. Maybe that will be my goal for the next 4 months, run to the bridge without stopping... we'll see. 



I never made it all the way to the bridge, but I have plenty of time. I decided to turn around and search out the sea lions, on my way I grabbed some fried shrimp and fries and headed on my way. I finally made it to Pier 39 and there they were! Big, fat, smelly, and loud sealions. Simply amazing. I've only seen them at the zoo. 








I had started my day walking around at 10:30 am, and didn't get back to the hostel until 3 p.m. It was New Years Eve so I figured I should find out what was going on. I was exhausted and wanted a nap but I just cant get my self to take naps. People started filling up in the common area around 6, so I and took a shower and got ready for the night. They are always cooking, they were making teriyaki chicken and ribs to grill that night, and we had over 14 bottles of champagne to bring in the New Year.


Everyone was laughing and having a great time, and then we all made our way to the roof top, you could see the entire city. It was beautiful. You would have never guessed that we had just all met. It was like we have been friends for years. People from all over the world.. Germany, New York, Australia, Arkansas, etc. But no matter how different our countries and states were, we are all the same, we are all here at the same time though for different reasons. No one judging anyone else. Just wanting to meet everyone and know their story.


“What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do – especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat Moon


This NYE will go in the books, we hung out, talked, sprayed champagne everywhere at midnight. We cheered, we hugged, we kissed, we drank, we just celebrated life and the new adventures it will bring us. Then of coarse there was all the silly things that happened. Like Joe spontaneously combusting. No one skipped a beat, I'm talking to Joe, we're drinking and having a good time, he lights his cigarette and I'm not sure why this happened but fire suddenly travels up his arm around his chest down to his other arm. Joe continues to light his cigarette, and I continue to talk to Joe while patting out this fire that suddenly started. Ryan runs up and starts patting him down as well "Holy shit man! You're on fire" He's like yea... I guess I am. Ryan was kinda late on the situation, and the only one that really freaked out, I'm pretty sure me and Joe never got off topic in our conversation. 


We all went out shortly after midnight. We probably shouldn't have, but its San Fran... we don't have to drive anywhere! The streets were nuts, some girl flipped over a barricade, a cop helps her up, and is like "are you sure you're not going to fall again?" I learned that San Fran is not high heel friendly. We went in a few bars then headed back to the hostel. 


Well, If you know me, you know theres one thing I need before I end a night of drinking.... PANCAKES! Me and Ryan made an awesome team and made some pancakes together. I was impressed seeing how I drank a bottle of vodka to my self, and that wasn't including any beer, or champagne I had as well. We were both pretty hammered, good thing you don't need any sharp objects for pancakes, just a hot surface. Ryan and I ended the night attempting to play a game of go fish. We were so hammered we couldn't even see the cards. It pretty much just turned into me and him having our own cars but sitting next to each other going "I don't know what this is, but do you have it?" or me attempting to put down four 5's but one was a 3, and I could have sworn my first born it was a 5. haha. 


What an amazing day, in an amazing city, surrounded by amazing people. I wish all my friends and loved ones could have been around. It would have been a thousand times more amazing then it already was. I miss everyone like crazy and I hope your New Years was as wonderful as mine. 





HAPPY NEW YEAR SAN FRANCISCO!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment